I am a seasoned Banking & Payments Consultant. My area of
I am well versed in various segments of the value chain for x-border funds movement, such as: money transfer licenses, regulatory frameworks, access to MSB friendly banking, correspondent banking relationships, FBO accounts, bank-led sponsorship, licensing coverage, payment networks, card processors, compliance, aggregators, AML/KYC setups and IT infrastructure provider (including mobile money apps).
Intimately versed in the crypto / alt-coins space, especially when it comes to cross-border value transfer including newer, innovative methods involving blockchain (distributed ledger technology) and utility tokens used for cross-border value transfers.
I have years of field experience which I add to continuously by conducting various field studies. I am a firm believer in working out of the comfort zone – to get answers. I subscribe to the theory that ‘data drives decisions’.
My network within the space is well respected and I actively network with regulators, liquidity providers, legal/compliance experts, deal-flow brokers, bankers and top management of various companies.
My clients include Fortune 500 & Fortune 1000 companies, Banks, Trans-Global Multinationals and Small to Medium Financial Services Institutions.
- CEO/Founder, Faisal Khan & Company
- Co-Host, Around The Coin.
- Non-Executive Director, DigitalX
- Advisor, Digital Finance Institute
- Advisor Fintech (Banking & Payments), HippoCorn
- Member of the Board of Advisors for The Identity and Payments Association (IDPay)
- Advisor, Everex.io
- Advisor, Invest2Innovate (i2i)
- Member Board of Directors (Non-Executive, Independent), Taurus Securities
- Advisor: CreditFix
- Non-Executive Board Member, Sender Money Transfer
Where Do I Work?
I work for my own company called Faisal Khan & Company which specializes in Cross-Border Money Transfer and Payment Systems. I’m essentially a payments consultant and an evangelist for digital money (aka Bitcoins and the Blockchain technology)
What Do I Specialize In?
I primarily specialize in cross-border money transmission.
If your project has anything to do with money transfer, remittances, business payments, money transmission laws, money transmitter licenses, store-value (e-money), access to banking, processing partners, payout access, tie-ups, etc. — this is what I do best.
Some of the example clients I work with:
- Money transfer operators trying to gain access to banking
- Fortune 1000, 500 and even Fortune 100 company trying to optimize your international ACH payments
- Licensed Bank wanting to get more international business, remittance tie-ups
- Licensed money transmitter, trying to forge alliances with partners in various countries for remittance payouts
- Payment processor wanting to connect with clients whose payments you would like to process
- Fintech startup looking for advice on how to penetrate a certain market segment
- Individual entrepreneur trying to understand the complex maze of the payments world
- Not-For-Profit entity trying to find the most cost-efficient method to make payments overseas, directly to the end-users
In addition to the world of money transfer, I’m a payments guy, which means, I work with all facets of payments. Some of the areas I work in are:
- Credit & Debit Cards Payment Processing
- Open & Closed Loop Payment Systems
- Payments Facilitator (Payment Service Provider) application, setups and licensing.
- Working with VISA & MasterCard to appoint clients as principal members.
- Value transfer via Bitcoins or other digital currency protocols like Ripple
Wellversant in AML (Anti-Money Laundering) and KYC (Know Your Customer) regulations as laid out by regulators around the world.
- Peer-to-Peer Payment Systems
- Mobile Payments
- Payment Gateways
- Branchless Banking
- Mobile Banking
- Payment Aggregators
- Electronic Payments based on tokenization or gestures
- Correspondent Banking
- Automated Clearing House (ACH) and International ACH
- Global Payment Processing, Gateways, and Payouts
Which Markets Do I Work In?
About 80% of my clients are from North America and the remaining 20% are from UK/EU. My clients contact me when they are interested in expanding their reach into foreign markets.
I understand the money transfer space in:
- EU (including the Nordic and Eastern European Countries)
- South Asia (India, Pakistan, Bangladesh)
- Far East (Thailand, Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia)
- Middle East (UAE & Saudi Arabia)
- Africa (South Africa, Kenya, Ghana, Tanzania, Egypt, Morocco).
I’m well versed in the money transmission laws, banking and processing partners, legal formalities to do business in these territories and above all, have an excellent network of people with whom I can connect you.
Why Have An Introductory Call With Me?
You would be surprised by how many people have benefitted from consulting with me.
Where Am I Based Out Of?
I am based out of Istanbul, Turkey.
Who Do I Work With?
I’ve worked with everyone; virtually from everywhere around the globe.
From entrepreneurs who are starting out with just an idea to fintech startups who are seeking growth, mid-sized companies seeking access to foreign markets, banks & financial institutions who would like more business, to Fortune 500 companies who have very niche requirements for international cross-border money transfer or payment processing.
Why Hire me?
Why? Because I’ll help you get closer to your goal, without the bull. My basis for working with people & companies has three basic tenants which my clients love:
- I work irrespective of the project value (sticker price). Your project or assignment could be worth US$ 10,000 to US$ 10 Billion, it has no relevance with respect to my engagement. I look at the problem, not the value of the project.
- I do not partake in equity or shareholding. Nor do I want it. My engagement is for select services, and then I am out of the way. It’s your project, and you retain full ownership (equity/shareholding) rights in it.
- I have no interest in taking a percentage on a per transaction basis. The income from each transaction is yours to keep. Not mine.
I help clients clear up the fog with respect to their business plan. I aid in bringing clarity to their approach. I keep the buzzwords out and help them understand the various complex intricacies of the payments world and legal verbiage in plain, easy to understand English.
I make the complex simple! (and I can do simple to complex).
How Do I Bill?
I bill for my time or for the referral (matchmaking I do), plain and simple.
Based on the engagement this could be on an hourly basis, project basis or retainer basis.
What Do I Do At Work?
At work, most of my time is spent on client problems.
This essentially means reading, understanding, researching, creating, designing, developing and deploying specialized payment systems and networks. Most of these systems are for cross-border money transfer (remittances) as well as bespoke payment systems for online and mobile peer-to-peer payments.
The remainder of my time is for education and upkeep. I will devote a couple of hours a day reading & researching what is happening in the payment, banking, and fintech world.
What Are Some Of The Areas I Do Not Work In?
There are four specific areas in the payments space that I do not work in:
- Mortgage, Lending, Payday Loans, etc.
- Retail Banking Operations
- Investment Banking
- Unlicensed Money Transmission.
As with everything in life, being socially responsible is something that is extremely vital to our society. In addition to donating time every single day to teach, I regularly associate myself to the following charities and organizations, to name a few, that are doing work for a communal good.
- World Food Program
- Shaukat Khannum Cancer Hospital
- Human Relief Foundation
- Sindh Institute of Urology and Transplantation (SIUT)
- Malala Fund
My Alma Mater
Florida Tech, my alma mater is in a small town (called Melbourne) on the Space Coast of Florida. Claim to fame: Jim Morrison lead singer of The Doors was born in Melbourne, Florida. I minored in Arts & Architecture (though our university officially does not give a minor degree). If you are curious to know, Marc Chagall is my favorite.
I’m married to Anika
I stopped watching the TV and reading the newspaper since 2006. Never felt happier in my life (and saner too).
I am an avid lover of old bookstores / old books, and just go gaga over flea markets and antiques.
I find many ways to keep myself occupied, from collectibles to collecting postcards (hey, if you want to send me a postcard, that would be like uber-cool). I enjoy Jazz (vintage jazz that is), two favorite Jazz radio stations I listen to are Martini In The Morning (what a beautiful name) and Bop City Vintage Jazz.
I also like Operas, Deep House Music (yes – contradictory). Needless to say, as the kid of the 80s, I am absolutely in love with that music. 80s music rocks!
I am a Type nerd. Though I must profess I am not highly knowledgeable in it. Learning as I go along.
Aesthetics and Balance is very important to me.
I am an Apple fanboy.
I contribute on Quora quite a lot. I’ve been selected as a Top Writer six times in a row: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017. Less than 80 people worldwide have had this honor. See my profile on Quora.
Die-hard foodie. The different types of foods I enjoy – Korean, Japanese, Arabic (especially Lebanese), Italian, French, and any kind of seafood.
I do enjoy B&W photography and I recently got a DSLR and am learning to play with it. Books are my weakness and are a very distant second, after my family. I could drown myself in books all the time. I cannot enlist a favorite author or favorite book for you. Too many, but if it has writing on it – chances are I would read it. I have recently over the past couple of years, taken an avid interest in History and Geography. Two subjects I used to shy away from when I was young and now very much love them.
As with almost everyone else, I love movies. I can pretty much watch any genre with the exception of comedy or horror films. I try to avoid them, it’s not that I don’t watch them entirely. Combine movies and history, and you get a very lethal combination.
Other interests include Vinyls, Astronomy, music, a/v aficionado, love trivia, stand-up comedy, cooking, guns, alcohol (from wines to a killer martini), I enjoy them all.
What’s the backstory on the handle: “Babushka99” ?
Many of you, who know of me (online) also know that I mostly use “babushka99” as my online handle/nick. You’ve probably thought, what the heck does that mean? why does he call himself that?
Here is the answer as to why I call myself “babushka99?
When I was in college, in the 1990s (early). I was infatuated with CIA/KGB books. So much so, that I enrolled in a Russian Language class (yes, I can speak the language……somewhat rusty!). At the same time, a movie came out called “SNEAKERS” — one of the characters a lead hacker in the movie is called “Mother”.
Anyhow, since we were very much plugging into the internet, BITnet, FIDOnet, COMPUServ for the very first time, I choose my nick as Babushka.
The “99? got added to it – to be almost 100% sure that whenever I apply for a User ID, the Username “babushka99? would always be available.
So the name is a combination of the CIA/KGB fascination, Russian Language, and the Grand Master association to Hacking from the Movie SNEAKERS.
This page was last updated on January 9, 2023.