A business plan is a document that outlines a company’s goals and how it plans to achieve them. It describes the products or services the business will offer, as well as how it will generate revenues. A business plan is important because it helps entrepreneurs to clarify their ideas, prioritize their efforts, and ensure that they are on track to meet their goals.
There are several major components of a business plan, including:
- Executive summary: This is a high-level overview of the business plan as a whole. It should include a brief description of the business, its goals, and its target market.
- Market analysis: This section should describe the market in which the business will operate, including information on the size and growth potential of the market, as well as key trends and competitors.
- Product or service offering: This section should describe the products or services that the business will offer, including details on how they will be developed and produced.
- Marketing and sales strategy: This section should outline the plan for promoting and selling the products or services, including details on pricing, distribution channels, and target customers.
- Operations and management: This section should describe how the business will be run on a day-to-day basis, including details on the management team, organizational structure, and any necessary partnerships or collaborations.
- Financial plan: This section should include financial projections for the business, including revenues, expenses, and profits.
To make a business plan, you should research the market, define your target customers, and identify your competitors. You should also set specific goals and objectives, and outline the strategies and tactics you will use to achieve them. Once you have all of this information, you can use it to create a detailed plan that outlines the steps you will take to start and grow your business.
Two-Page Template for a Business Plan
Here is a template for a two-page business plan that you can use to build upon.
- Business name
- Names of founders
Executive Summary (1-2 paragraphs)
- Brief overview of your business, including what it does, who it serves, and what sets it apart from competitors
- Statement of purpose or mission
Market Analysis (1-2 paragraphs)
- Description of your target market, including size and demographics
- Description of your competitors and how you plan to differentiate your business from them
Product or Service Description (1-2 paragraphs)
- Description of the products or services you offer
- How your products or services solve your customers’ problems or meet their needs
Marketing and Sales Strategy (1-2 paragraphs)
- Description of your marketing and sales efforts, including how you plan to reach and acquire customers
- Description of your pricing strategy
Operations (1-2 paragraphs)
- Description of your day-to-day operations, including location, facilities, and equipment
- Description of your management team and any key employees
Financial Plan (1-2 paragraphs)
- Description of your financial projections and goals
- Description of any funding or investment you are seeking
Conclusion (1 paragraph)
- Recap of the key points of your business plan
- Statement of your long-term business goals
- Any additional documents or information that may be useful for understanding your business, such as resumes, product samples, or marketing materials.
This page was last updated on January 6, 2023.