Is a License Necessary to Start a Money Transfer Business?

Yes. The business of moving money is a regulated business. This means, that you would require a license that would be issued from the local financial regulator in your country (from where the transaction is originating) and also require a license in the country in which the transaction is being terminated.

Banking institutions that do money transfers for themselves, do not require a money transfer license, as their banking charter covers this already.

However, as a NBFI, i.e. a non-banking financial institution, you would need a license, as issued by your financial regulator.

Let me stress, the movement of money as an intermediary requires a license. I am not a lawyer, but please consult with your respective financial regulator and find out from them.

Suggested Related Video/s

This page was last updated on February 22, 2023.

Share with others...