If you plan to engage in activities such as transferring funds, accepting deposits, or lending money as an intermediary, you are likely required to obtain a license, regardless of your location. In the past, obtaining a license to perform these types of financial services was typically only available to traditional banks.
However, advances in technology and communication have allowed fintechs and entrepreneurs to create new and innovative financial services solutions for customers.
Primary Licensing Regimes
Click the link below to go directly to the main pages for:
- US Money Transmitter License
- Electronic Money Institution (EMI)
- Authorized Payment Institution (API)
- Small Payment Institution (SPI)
A money transmitter or money transfer license is a crucial requirement for businesses that transfer funds across geographical or across state boundaries. However, the process can be complex and time-consuming. We can help you navigate this process by connecting you with specialized solution providers who are experienced in obtaining licensing and regulatory coverage for money transfer businesses in various regions, including the US, Canada, the UK, Europe, and Australia/New Zealand.
- Agent Status: Want to be a US MTL Agent?
- Amazon Resellers & Sales
- Authorized Delegate (AD)
- Bank Sponsorship for Regulatory License Coverage
- Buying an existing License
- Commercial Agent of Payee Exemption
- Delegate Status Comparison Table
- Difference between a money services business and a money transmitter license.
- Electronic Money Distributor (EMD)
- EU: License Application Prescreening
- Financial Regulators in Europe
- Gambling & Sports Betting
- How difficult is it to get a Money Transmitter License in the United States?
- How expensive is it to get a Money Transmitter License in the United States?
- How Much Money do I Need for a Money Transfer License?
- How much money do I need to become an Agent?
- How Much Money is Needed to Get Licensing?
- How to get licensed?
- How to Obtain a Small Payments Institution License in the UK
- How to start a money transfer business?
- How to start a remittance business?
- Independent Sales Organization (ISO)
- International Money Transmitter License
- License as a Service (LaaS)
- Licensing: Pre-Screening
- List of Financial Regulators Worldwide
- Marketplace Licensing
- Money Service Operator (MSO)
- Money Services Business (MSB)
- Money Transfer Agent
- Money Transfer License Application Brief
- Money Transfer Operator (MTO)
- Money Transfer Operator License
- Money Transmission
- Money Transmitter License as a Service (MTLaaS)
- Not Everyone Needs a Money Transmitter License
- Operator-led Model
- Owning versus Renting a License
- Passport (or Passporting)
- Payment Facilitator (PayFac)
- Prerequisite for a New Money Transmitter License
- Process for obtaining a Small Payments Institution license in the UK
- Registered Agent (RA)
- Renting (or Leasing) a License
- Selling your License
- Some Basic Understanding of Licensing
- Sponsor License Agreement
- Sponsoring License Holder
- Startup Money Transmitter Licenses
- Upgrading a License
- USA E-Money License
- What is a Money Services Business?
- What is a Money Transmitter License?
- What is an Electronic Money Institution (EMI) License in Europe and what is it used for?
- What is an Exemption?
- What is Europe’s Electronic Money Directive or EMD?
- What is the difference between a small EMI and an EMI
- What is the federal definition of a Money Services Business (MSB)?
- What is the federal definition of a money transmitter?
- Worldwide Money Transfer License
Country/Region Specific Licensing
We can assist you with your licensing options (applying for a new license, becoming an agent, renting one, being sponsored by one, etc.) in various geographies around the world, specifically the most commonly requested ones (see below):
|USA (UNITED STATES OF AMERICA):|
Main page for US MSB (Money Services Businesses) classification and Money Transmitter Licenses.
Information on MSB Money Services Businesses and FMSB Foreign Money Services Businesses license registration in Canada.
|EU (EUROPEAN UNION):|
Information on the various European (Small Payment institution), API (Authorized Payment institutions), and EMI (Electronic Money Institutions) as well as passporting.
Information on the API (Authorized Payment institutions), and EMI (Electronic Money Institutions) licenses as well as passporting of licenses as issued by the Bank of Lithuania.
Information on crypto exchange & wallet licenses as issued by the financial regulator in Estonia.
Overview of the various licenses offered by MAS (Monetary Authority of Singapore).
|UAE (UNITED ARAB EMIRATES)|
|UK (UNITED KINGDOM):|
Information on the UK FCA’s SPI (Small Payment institution), API (Authorized Payment Institution UK), and EMI Electronic Money Institution UK.
Information on Turkiye’s E-Money License and Cryptocurrency License.
This page was last updated on May 29, 2023.